Let us introduce ourselves…
I’m Hayley. I’m
married to a self-proclaimed stud, Keith, and we have the sweetest one year old
in the world, Blake. Keith and I
are both teachers and coaches.
Keith teaches Biology and coaches baseball and volleyball while I teach
art and coach swimming. We work
hard all year to provide for our family.
I was a lifeguard and eventually a pool manager until 2013. The winter between 2013 and 2014 I
started thinking about not working during the summer. I didn’t think I could afford to give up the money that job
provided for our family. After
realizing that the summer prior I
basically worked the entire summer to pay for our honeymoon, I realized
that we could probably make it work.
You read that correctly—I worked over 40 hours a week all summer to pay
for our 10 day honeymoon and I would do it over again in a heartbeat. We talk about Peter Island on a daily
basis and love the memories we made there. Back to reality…
Keith and I decided that we work hard all year and wanted to
spend an entire summer together having fun before having babies. Let me clarify—we were never under the
impression that our lives would end when we had kids. We just knew it would be different. We had the time of
our lives. It was an
amazing summer. I had never been
so relaxed in my life. The summer
ended with Keith turning 30 the same day we found out that I was pregnant. I’ll never work another summer! I long to be with Blake every minute of
every day, but the reality is that we can’t do it on one income. Sometimes we have long nights coaching,
but it allows us an entire summer together. (Note the above photo: pre-Blake...taken in my favorite place in the world, St. Maarten. Below is exactly one year later with the little man in the same place.)
At the end of every summer we think to ourselves, “How will
we have MORE fun next summer? This
was the best summer ever!” Then
the next year we outdo ourselves.
This summer will be no different.
We are two of the most irresponsible people in the
world. Sometimes I swear one of
the qualities I find so attractive in Keith is his irresponsibility—only
because it makes me feel more responsible. I think one person in a relationship is supposed to be the
responsible one. Whoops. Piles of laundry? I still have clean clothes to
wear. Dishes in the sink? We’ll do them tomorrow morning. Mortgage payments? Just kidding…we do pay our bills on
time. Anything else can wait. It will always be that way. Why? Because we have fun.
I’m not staying in to do my dishes when I could be out doing something
fun. They say messy people have
more fun, and I agree.
So anyway, responsibility. We took a photo of Blake each month with those little
numbers. By each month I mean,
anywhere from 4-8 weeks would go by and we would take the next one. Close enough! Baby book?
Whoops. See here is where
we are not responsible. That first
summer that we weren’t working we decided to post a photo a day to Instagram. I felt like it would force us to make
sure we did something fun every day since we were sharing it with
everyone. We stuck to it and
posted every single day. I hope this is the beginning of us keeping track of our summer with Blake. I can’t slack on something other people can see…
No comments:
Post a Comment